Carbon monoxide poisoning from wood burning fireplaces is a real danger. The gas is odorless and colorless, so you might not even know it’s there. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, and fatigue.

If you’re exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide, it can be deadly.

If you have a wood burning fireplace, it’s important to be aware of the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning. While the risk is relatively low, it’s still something to be aware of, especially if you have young children or pets in your home. There are a few things that can increase the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from a wood burning fireplace.

One is if the chimney is blocked or partially blocked. This can cause carbon monoxide to build up inside the home rather than being released outside. Another factor is how well the fireplace is ventilated.

If there isn’t enough airflow, that can also lead to a buildup of carbon monoxide. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of flu, including headache, nausea, and fatigue. If you suspect you may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, get fresh air immediately and call 911.

Can You Get Carbon Monoxide Poisoning from a Wood Fireplace

Can You Get Carbon Monoxide Poisoning from a Wood Fireplace?

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is a serious and potentially fatal condition that can occur when burning wood in a fireplace. While most modern fireplaces are built with safety features to help prevent CO poisoning, it is still possible for this to happen if the fireplace is not used correctly. When burning wood in a fireplace, it is important to make sure that there is good ventilation.

The fire should be lit with the damper open so that fresh air can enter the chimney and help keep the fire burning hot. If the damper is closed, or if there isn’t enough ventilation, the fire can start to produce deadly carbon monoxide gas. Symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting.

If you experience any of these symptoms while using your fireplace, you should get out of the house immediately and seek medical attention. If you have a wood-burning fireplace in your home, it’s important to be aware of the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning and take steps to prevent it. Make sure your fireplace is properly ventilated and never burn wood indoors without proper ventilation!

Do You Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector With a Wood Burning Fireplace?

If you have a wood burning fireplace, you should have a carbon monoxide detector. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can be deadly if inhaled in high concentrations. A properly functioning wood burning fireplace should not produce high levels of carbon monoxide, but it is always better to be safe than sorry.

If your home does not have a carbon monoxide detector, you should consider purchasing one.

How Common is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning from Fireplaces?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that you can’t see, taste, or smell. It’s produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal, and wood don’t burn fully. As a result, using an open fireplace for heating or cooking can produce high levels of CO in your home.

In fact, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), “fireplaces are the leading source of residential carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning deaths in the United States.”

Here are some more alarming statistics from the CPSC:

• Each year, approximately 430 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning associated with consumer products; more than 50 percent of these deaths are associated with fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, ranges, water heaters, and room heaters; another 20 percent are linked to engine-powered tools such as generators and power washers.

• Approximately 15000 people visit emergency rooms each year due to accidental CO poisoning from fuel-burning appliances; 4500 people are hospitalized and 200 people die from their injuries.

• Fireplaces were involved in an estimated 890 nonfatal CO poisonings treated in hospital emergency rooms in 2009 alone; those incidents resulted in 21 hospitalizations and no deaths.

Dangers of Carbon Monoxide From Your Fireplace

How Do I Prevent Carbon Monoxide in My Wood Fireplace?

When it comes to wood-burning fireplaces, one of the main concerns is preventing carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is a colorless and odorless gas that can be dangerous if inhaled in high concentrations. Luckily, there are some easy steps you can take to prevent CO buildup in your fireplace:

1. Only burn dry, well-seasoned wood. Wet or green wood produces more smoke and creates less heat, leading to incomplete combustion and higher levels of CO.

2. Don’t let the fire get too big. A large fire will burn less efficiently and produce more smoke – again, increasing the risk of CO production.

3. Keep the damper open until all the ashes are cool. A closed damper traps smoke and fumes in the chimney, which can lead to dangerous levels of CO accumulating inside your home.

4. Have your fireplace and chimney inspected regularly by a certified professional. This will ensure that everything is in good working order and that there are no blockages preventing proper ventilation.

How to Check Your Fireplace for Carbon Monoxide?

When it comes to carbon monoxide, you can never be too careful. This gas is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, making it impossible to detect without the proper tools. That’s why it’s important to know how to check your fireplace for carbon monoxide.

There are a few different ways that you can go about this. The first is to purchase a carbon monoxide detector. These devices are relatively inexpensive and can be found at most hardware stores.

Place the detector near your fireplace and make sure that it is in an area where it will not be obstructed by furniture or other objects. Another way to check for carbon monoxide is to use a piece of paper or cardboard. Hold the paper or cardboard up to the exhaust vent of your fireplace while it is in use.

If you see any blackening on the paper or cardboard, there is likely carbon monoxide present and you should open a window or door immediately to ventilate the area. If you have any suspicion that there may be carbon monoxide present in your home, it is important to contact a professional immediately. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be extremely dangerous and even fatal if not treated quickly and properly.

Do not hesitate to call 911 if you believe that someone in your home may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

How to Check Your Fireplace for Carbon Monoxide

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide from Wood Stoves?

When it comes to heating your home during the winter months, many people turn to wood stoves as a cost-effective way to keep warm. However, if not used properly, wood stoves can pose a serious threat of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Here are some tips on how to prevent CO from wood stoves:

1. Install a CO detector in your home and check it regularly to make sure it is working properly.

2. When using your wood stove, always open the flue before lighting the fire. This will allow fresh air to circulate and help prevent the buildup of deadly gases.

3. Never burn garbage or treated wood on your stove – these materials can release harmful chemicals into the air that can be dangerous when inhaled.

4. Keep the area around your wood stove clear of clutter and combustible materials such as newspapers or rags. These items could easily catch fire if they come into contact with hot embers from the stove.

5. Have your chimney inspected annually by a professional to ensure that it is free of blockages that could cause deadly gases to build up inside your home.

Carbon Monoxide from the Fireplace

When it comes to carbon monoxide, we often think of it as an invisible gas that can lead to serious health problems. But did you know that your fireplace could be a source of this dangerous gas? That’s right – carbon monoxide from fireplaces is a real thing and it’s something you should be aware of.

So, what is carbon monoxide exactly? It’s a colorless, odorless gas that is produced when burning fuel such as natural gas, propane, wood, or charcoal. And when inhaled, carbon monoxide can cause serious health problems like headaches, dizziness, nausea, and even death.

So how can you protect yourself from carbon monoxide from fireplaces? First, make sure that your fireplace is properly vented so that the gas can escape outside. Second, install a carbon monoxide detector in your home and check it regularly to make sure it’s working properly.

Third, if you do start to feel sick while using your fireplace, get out of the house immediately and call 911. By following these simple tips, you can help keep yourself safe from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Related: 6 Ways to Make Wood Burn Slower in a Fireplace


Carbon monoxide is a gas that can be emitted from wood burning fireplaces. If inhaled, it can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, and shortness of breath.

If you suspect you have been poisoned by carbon monoxide, seek medical attention immediately.