This article may contain affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase following our links won’t cost you extra, but we may earn a commission. Learn more
If you have a cracked or otherwise damaged glass stove top, you may be wondering if it can be replaced. The answer is yes, just replace it. No need to spend extra to buy another glass stove top.
There are a few different ways to go about replacing a glass stove top, depending on the severity of the damage and the type of stove you have. If the damage is minor, you may be able to simply replace the glass insert. For more significant damage, you may need to replace the entire stove top.
In either case, it’s important to choose a replacement glass that is compatible with your stove. Otherwise, you could end up with a stove that doesn’t work properly or is dangerous to use.
Once you have the right replacement glass, the process of replacing a glass stove top is relatively straightforward. With a little time and patience, you can have your stove looking and working like new again!
- Remove all the burner grates and caps from your stove top
- If you have an electric stove, remove the heating elements as well
- Use a putty knife to scrape off any cooked-on food or grease from the surface of your stove top
- Be sure to get rid of all the residue; otherwise, it will make it harder for the new glass stove top to adhere properly
- Measure the dimensions of your old glass stove top so that you can purchase a replacement that fits perfectly
- Carefully lift off the old glass stove top and set it aside in a safe place
- Clean up any debris in the area where the new glass stove top will be placed using a damp cloth or paper towel; then dry it completely with another clean cloth or paper towel before proceeding any further
For adhesive installation: Apply a generous amount of adhesive onto the surface using a notched trowel, spreading it evenly over areas where the new glass stove top will make contact with the surface below it; then smooth out any air bubbles that might have formed using a rubber roller (available at hardware stores)
For sealant installation: Run a continuous bead of sealant around all four edges of the perimeter on which the new glass stove top will rest; then use the trowel to spread it out into the corners.
Wipe away any excess using a solvent such as silicone caulk remover or rubbing alcohol applied to a rag(sealed with plastic wrap when not in use so it doesn’t dry out)
How Much Does It Cost to Replace a Glass Top on a Stove?
If your glass stovetop has cracked, you may be wondering how much it will cost to replace it. The good news is that replacing a glass stovetop is generally not a very expensive repair. The average cost of a new glass stovetop is between $100 and $400.
However, the exact cost will depend on the make and model of your stove as well as the size of the replacement glass. If you have a warranty on your stove, you may be able to get the replacement glass covered under that. Otherwise, you will need to pay for the replacement yourself.
If you do need to pay for it yourself, there are a few ways to save money on the repair. First, see if you can find a used or refurbished replacement glass top for your stove. These can often be found online for significantly less than a new one.
Second, try contacting the manufacturer of your stove directly and see if they offer any discounts on replacement parts.
No matter how you get your new glass stovetop, installing it is generally pretty easy and does not require professional help. However, if you are unsure about how to install it or do not feel comfortable doing so yourself, there are plenty of tutorials online or you can always hire someone to do it for you.
How Do You Replace a Glass Cooktop?
If your cooktop is starting to show its age, you may be considering replacing it. While replacing a glass cooktop is not a difficult task, there are a few things you need to keep in mind to ensure the job is done properly. The first thing you need to do is remove the old cooktop.
This can be done by simply unscrewing it from the countertop or by carefully prying it up with a putty knife. Once the old cooktop is removed, clean the area thoroughly before installing the new one. Next, measure the opening of your cooktop so you know what size replacement to purchase.
It’s important to get an exact match so that the new cooktop will fit properly and look good once installed. Once you have your new cooktop, place it over the opening and mark where you need to cut it to size.
Use a straight edge and a sharp knife or glass cutter to make your cuts; then gently break away any excess glass with pliers.
Be sure to wear gloves during this process to avoid cutting yourself. Now all that’s left to do is install your new cooktop!
Begin by peeling off the backing on the adhesive strips that came with your Cooktop; then press down firmly around the perimeter of the Cooktop.
Let the adhesive set for 24 hours before using your stove; then enjoy years of like-new cooking performance!
Can You Still Use a Glass Top Stove If It’s Cracked?
No, you can’t use a glass top stove if it’s cracked. The crack will cause the glass to break and shatter, which could result in serious injuries. If your stove is cracked, you should replace the glass top as soon as possible.
Can a Broken Glass Cooktop Be Repaired?
If your cooktop is made of glass, it can usually be repaired if it cracks or chips. However, if the damage is severe, you may need to replace the cooktop.
Stove Top Glass Replacement
If your stove top is made of glass, it’s important to know how to properly replace the glass if it ever cracks or breaks. Here are some tips on replacing stove top glass:
1. First, you’ll need to remove the old glass. Carefully lift up the edges of the glass and gently pry it off of the stove top. If there are any stubborn areas, you can use a putty knife or other sharp object to help loosen the glue or sealant holding the glass in place.
2. Once the old glass is removed, clean off any residue from the surface of the stove top. Be sure to wipe down both sides of the opening where the new glass will be placed.
3. Next, measure out and cut a piece of replacement glass that will fit snugly into the opening. You can use a standard piece of tempered glass or order a custom-cut piece from a hardware store or home improvement center.
4. Place the new piece of glass into position and press down around all edges to secure it in place.
Whirlpool Glass Stove Top Replacement
If your Whirlpool glass stove top needs to be replaced, you can follow these simple steps. With a few tools and some patience, you can have your stove top looking like new in no time. Tools Needed:
-Phillips head screwdriver
-Flat head screwdriver
-Putty knife or razor blade
-Ruler or measuring tape
1) First, remove the burner grates and caps. To do this, simply lift them up and off of the stove top. Set them aside in a safe place.
2) Next, use your putty knife or razor blade to carefully loosen and remove the old cooktop glass.
Be careful not to damage the underlying metal surface.
3) Once the old glass is removed, measure the width and length of the opening. This will ensure that you purchase the correct size replacement glass cooktop.
4) Purchase your replacement cooktop from a local home improvement store or online retailer.
5) Carefully lower the new piece of glass into place. Make sure that it is seated correctly and evenly before moving on.
6) Use your Phillips head screwdriver to replace any screws that hold the glass in place around the perimeter. Be careful not to overtighten these screws, as this could crack the cooktop again.
If your glass stove top is cracked or otherwise damaged, you may be wondering if you can replace it yourself. The good news is that it’s fairly easy to do, and you can find replacement glass tops at most home improvement stores. Just make sure to measure your stove top before you buy a replacement, so you know it will fit properly.