This article may contain affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase following our links won’t cost you extra, but we may earn a commission. Learn more
The Best Slotted Turners, the ultimate kitchen tool for effortless cooking and serving. Made from high-quality materials such as nylon+stainless, plastic, and silicone, these slotted turner spatulas are designed to provide durability and versatility.
Unlike solid turners, slotted turners feature strategically placed holes that allow excess oil or liquid to drain away, making them ideal for flipping delicate foods like pancakes, eggs, and fish.
Whether you prefer a metal slotted turner or a KitchenAid slotted turner, you can find a wide range of options to suit your needs. With their long handles and ergonomic designs, these slotted turners offer comfort and control while cooking.
What is a Slotted Turner Used For?
A slotted turner is a versatile kitchen tool that is used for various purposes in cooking and serving. Its primary function is to flip and turn food items while allowing excess liquids or oils to drain away through the slots or openings in the turner.
This makes it particularly useful for handling delicate foods that need to be flipped without disturbing their shape or texture, such as fish fillets, omelettes, pancakes, and crepes.
The slotted turner is also commonly used for serving food. Its slotted design allows for easy separation of the food from any excess liquids or oils, making it ideal for serving dishes like poached eggs, pasta, stir fry, and vegetables.
The slots in the turner prevent the food from becoming soggy or retaining unnecessary moisture, ensuring a better presentation and taste.
Furthermore, a slotted turner can be used for tasks beyond flipping and serving. Its flat, wide surface makes it suitable for scraping and lifting baked goods from pans and cookie sheets, such as cookies, brownies, and bar desserts.
The sturdy construction of the turner allows for easy handling of heavier foods without the risk of bending or breaking.
Comparing and Reviewing the Best Slotted Turners in the Market
1. KitchenAid Classic Slotted Turner
The KitchenAid Classic Slotted Turner is a versatile and reliable tool for your kitchen. Crafted from durable blended nylon with a slip-resistant silicone overlay, this turner is designed to last.
The perforations on the turner head allow food to drain while turning, making it perfect for serving. With smooth edges that won’t scratch, it is safe to use on all types of cookware, including nonstick.
Plus, it is heat resistant up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, making it suitable for high-temperature cooking. Cleaning up is a breeze as it is dishwasher safe. The Aqua color and traditional KitchenAid accents add a touch of style to your kitchen.
- Perforated turner head for draining food
- Durable blended nylon construction with a silicone overlay
- Safe to use on all types of cookware
- Heat resistant up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Serving food while draining excess liquid
- Use on all types of cookware, including nonstick
Where Need to Improve:
- The handle is a bit short
2. Fish Spatula, HaSteeL 2-Piece Stainless Steel Slotted Turner
The Fish Spatula by HaSteeL is a reliable and practical tool for your kitchen. Made from durable stainless steel, this slotted turner is built to stand the test of time. The 1.2mm thick blade ensures non-deformability and rust-free performance.
The ergonomic ABS plastic handle with three rivets provides a sturdy grip and prevents it from falling apart. The beveled blade with a razor-thin edge easily slides beneath food, while the angled curved front head keeps food from slipping.
The slotted surface allows oil to drain, making it perfect for frying and grilling. This set includes two spatulas of different sizes, offering versatility for various cooking needs.
- Made from durable stainless steel
- Ergonomic handle with three rivets
- Beveled blade for easy food flipping
- Slotted surface for oil drainage
- Set of two spatulas for versatility
- Flipping, turning, frying, and grilling
- Suitable for both soft and heavier food
Where Need to Improve:
- Some users found the handle to be less comfortable
- The spatula may be too large for smaller pans
3. Norpro My FavoriteTM Scoop & Drain Slotted Spatula
Norpro My FavoriteTM Scoop & Drain Slotted Spatula is a versatile kitchen tool that will quickly become your go-to spatula. Its deep slotted head is perfect for draining excess liquids from poached eggs, pasta, vegetables, stir fry, and more.
The long handle ensures your hands stay away from hot pots, pans, and liquids, making it safe to use. Made of durable nylon, this spatula is heat resistant up to 410F and won’t scratch nonstick cookware. Cleaning is a breeze as it is dishwasher safe.
It can be used as a serving spatula for scooping baked goods from bar pans and cookie sheets. With dimensions of 10 3/4″ long x 3″ wide, it offers a comfortable grip and efficient performance.
- Deep slotted head for draining excess liquids
- Heat resistant up to 410F
- Durable nylon construction
- Safe for nonstick cookware
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Cooking and serving poached eggs, pasta, vegetables, stir fry, etc.
- Scooping baked goods from bar pans and cookie sheets
Where Need to Improve:
- Some customers found the handle to be too short for their liking
4. KSENDALO Fish Spatula for Nonstick Cookware
KSENDALO Fish Spatula for Nonstick Cookware is a must-have tool for flipping fish, eggs, pancakes, and delicate crepes. Its wide and thin nylon blade is firm enough for flipping while being gentle on your cookware.
With a heat resistance of up to 410℉, it is perfect for use with nonstick pans. The bright brushed stainless handle provides a comfortable grip, and the spatula comes with a hole for easy hanging.
The thin edge of the blade allows for the precise flipping of longer foods like omelettes and fish fillets, while also making it easy to filter out excess oil when frying. This lightweight spatula is easy to use and clean, but it is recommended to hand wash only.
- Wide and thin nylon blade for flipping delicate foods
- Bright brushed stainless handle
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Nonstick coating protects your cookware
- Flipping fish, eggs, pancakes, and delicate crepes
Where Need to Improve:
- Not suitable for use with stainless steel or iron pans that exceed 410℉
5. Pack of 2 Silicone Solid Turner, Non-Stick Slotted Kitchen Spatulas
The Pack of 2 Silicone Solid Turner is a must-have kitchen tool for any cooking enthusiast. Made of food-grade silicone, these spatulas are safe and healthy to use. Unlike ordinary sellers, this product pays more attention to the safety of materials, ensuring that there is no melting or deforming even at high temperatures of 446℉ (230℃).
The soft silicone won’t scratch the coating of your pots and pans, providing better protection. The high-quality 18/8 stainless steel construction makes these turners durable and rust-resistant. The anti-scald silicone handle keeps your hands safe from heat while providing a comfortable grip.
Cleaning is a breeze as you can simply wipe them with hot water or put them in the dishwasher. The round hanging hole design allows for easy drying. With its modern black color, these turners can be matched with any kitchen style.
The thin and flexible edge is perfect for flipping. Bundlepro Kitchenware is committed to providing the highest quality kitchen utensils and offers excellent customer service.
- Made of food-grade silicone, free of BPA
- Heat resistant up to 446℉ (230℃)
- Durable 18/8 stainless steel construction
- Anti-scald silicone handle for a comfortable grip
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- Flipping fish, eggs, and pancakes
- Cooking with non-stick cookware
Where Need to Improve:
- The turner head could be larger
- A few users found the handle to be too short for their liking
6. KitchenAid Gourmet Nylon Slotted Turner
The KitchenAid Gourmet Nylon Slotted Turner is a versatile tool that makes food preparation and serving a breeze. With its large turner surface, you can easily flip and serve various dishes.
The nylon material is safe for all types of cookware, including non-stick. The turner head is heat resistant up to 450°F/232°C, ensuring durability and performance in the kitchen. The nylon fiberglass-reinforced head provides excellent support, while the matte ABS handle offers a comfortable grip.
The handle features a debossed logo, ABS chrome plated bolster, and a stainless steel endcap with a “KitchenAid 1919” medallion, paying tribute to the brand’s founding year. Cleaning is effortless as this slotted turner is dishwasher safe.
- Large turner surface for easy food preparation and serving
- Heat resistant up to 450°F/232°C
- Durable nylon fiberglass reinforced head
- Comfortable grip with a matte ABS handle
- Dishwasher safe for quick and easy cleaning
- Flipping and serving various dishes
- Use with non-stick cookware
Where Need to Improve:
- Some customers felt that the turner head could be wider
Benefits of Using a Slotted Turner in Your Kitchen
Using a slotted turner in your kitchen offers several benefits that can enhance your cooking experience and the quality of your dishes. Here are some key advantages of incorporating a slotted turner into your culinary arsenal-
Efficient Draining: The slotted design of a turner allows excess liquids or oils to drain away, preventing your food from becoming soggy or greasy. This is particularly beneficial when flipping delicate foods like fish fillets or removing poached eggs from boiling water.
Gentle Handling: The wide, flat surface of a slotted turner provides ample support for delicate foods, ensuring they remain intact during the flipping process. This gentle handling helps maintain the shape and texture of your dishes, resulting in visually appealing and appetizing meals.
Versatility: A slotted turner is a multi-purpose tool that can be used for flipping, turning, and serving a wide range of foods. From pancakes and omelettes to stir fry and vegetables, this versatile utensil can handle various cooking tasks with ease.
Nonstick Friendly: Many slotted turners are designed with nonstick surfaces or materials, making them safe to use on nonstick cookware. This prevents scratching or damaging the coating, extending the lifespan of your pans and ensuring healthier cooking.
Easy Cleanup: Slotted turners are typically dishwasher safe, making cleanup a breeze. The smooth surfaces and minimal crevices of these utensils allow for a quick and thorough cleaning, saving you time and effort in the kitchen.
How We Picked the Best Slotted Turners?
Durability: Built to Last
When it comes to selecting the best slotted turner, durability is a key factor. We meticulously examined the materials used in the construction of each turner, ensuring they were built to withstand the test of time. Our research focused on turners made from high-quality stainless steel, nylon, or silicone, as these materials offer exceptional durability and resistance to heat.
Ergonomic Design: Comfortable and Efficient
An essential feature of a slotted turner is its ergonomic design. We sought out turners with comfortable handles that provide a secure grip, allowing for effortless flipping and turning. The ideal turner should have a balanced weight distribution, reducing strain on the wrist and ensuring a smooth cooking experience.
Heat Resistance: Withstanding High Temperatures
Another crucial aspect we considered was the heat resistance of the slotted turners. We examined products that can withstand high temperatures without warping or melting. This ensures that the turner remains in optimal condition even when used in high-heat cooking applications.
Versatility: A Multifunctional Kitchen Tool
A great slotted turner should be versatile enough to handle various cooking tasks. We evaluated turners that can be used for flipping delicate foods like fish fillets, as well as sturdy enough to handle heavier items like burgers or pancakes. The ability to handle different types of food with ease was a significant factor in our selection process.
Easy to Clean: Hassle-free Maintenance
Cleaning kitchen tools should never be a chore. We prioritized slotted turners that are easy to clean, either by hand or in the dishwasher. Non-stick surfaces and smooth edges were key features we looked for, ensuring that food residue doesn’t stick to the turner, and making cleanup a breeze.
Read More: 4 Best Flame Tamer for Gas Stoves
Difference Between Turner and Spatula
While the terms “turner” and “spatula” are often used interchangeably, there are subtle differences between the two utensils. Understanding these distinctions can help you choose the right tool for your specific cooking needs.
A turner, also known as a slotted turner or flipper, is a kitchen utensil with a flat, wide surface and slots or openings that allow for the efficient draining of excess liquids. Its primary function is to flip, turn, and serve various foods, such as pancakes, omelettes, fish fillets, and burgers. The slots in a turner prevent the food from retaining unnecessary moisture, ensuring better texture and presentation.
On the other hand, a spatula is a broader term that encompasses a range of kitchen utensils with a flat, flexible blade. Spatulas come in different shapes, sizes, and materials, and they serve various purposes in the kitchen. For example, a rubber spatula is commonly used for scraping bowls and folding ingredients, while a fish spatula is designed for the delicate flipping and turning of fish fillets.
Slotted Turner vs. Solid Turner
When it comes to choosing between a slotted turner and a solid turner, it’s important to consider the specific tasks you’ll be performing in the kitchen. Here are the key differences between the two utensils:
A slotted turner, as the name suggests, features slots or openings in its wide surface. These slots allow for the efficient draining of excess liquids or oils, making it ideal for flipping delicate foods like fish fillets, omelettes, and pancakes. The slots prevent the food from becoming soggy and help achieve better texture and presentation.
On the other hand, a solid turner has a flat, solid surface without any slots or openings. This type of turner is better suited for tasks that don’t require draining, such as flipping burgers, turning steaks, or serving solid foods like brownies or bar desserts. The solid surface provides more support and stability for handling heavier or bulkier items.
It’s worth noting that some turners offer a combination of both slotted and solid surfaces, providing versatility for a wider range of cooking tasks. These hybrid turners feature a solid section for handling solid foods and a slotted section for draining liquids, offering the best of both worlds.
How to Properly Care for and Maintain Your Slotted Turner
To ensure the longevity and optimal performance of your slotted turner, it’s important to follow proper care and maintenance practices. Here are some tips to help you keep your slotted turner in excellent condition:
1. Hand Washing: It is recommended to hand wash your slotted turner after each use. Use warm, soapy water and a gentle sponge or cloth to remove any food residue. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbers that can damage the surface of the turner.
2. Avoid High Heat: While slotted turners are designed to withstand high temperatures, it’s best to avoid exposing them to excessive heat. Avoid leaving your turner near open flames or placing it on hot surfaces for extended periods. This will help prevent the warping or melting of the turner.
3. Nonstick Cookware: If you’re using a slotted turner with nonstick cookware, ensure that it is specifically designed for nonstick surfaces. Using a turner with sharp edges or metal parts can scratch or damage the nonstick coating. Opt for turners made of nylon or silicone, which are gentle on nonstick surfaces.
4. Storage: Store your slotted turner in a dry and well-ventilated area. Avoid storing it in a crowded drawer or with other utensils that can cause friction or damage. If possible, hang your turner or store it in a utensil holder to prevent bending or deformation.
5. Regular Inspection: Periodically inspect your slotted turner for any signs of wear or damage. Check for loose handles, cracks, or any other issues that may affect its performance. If you notice any problems, consider replacing your turner to ensure safe and effective use.
Tips and Tricks for Using a Slotted Turner Like a Pro
Using a slotted turner effectively can elevate your cooking skills and help you achieve better results in the kitchen. Here are some tips and tricks to help you use a slotted turner like a pro-
1. Choose the Right Size: Select a slotted turner that is appropriate for the size of the food you’re handling. A larger turner may be more suitable for flipping pancakes or omelettes, while a smaller turner can be used for delicate tasks like flipping fish fillets.
2. Angle and Technique: When flipping or turning food, use a gentle and fluid motion. Slide the turner underneath the food, angling it slightly to ensure a secure grip. Avoid using excessive force or pressing down too hard, as this can cause the food to break apart or lose its shape.
3. Drain Excess Liquids: Take advantage of the slots in the turner to drain any excess liquids or oils from the food. Tilt the turner slightly to allow the liquids to flow out through the slots, leaving you with a drier and more flavorful result.
4. Support and Stability: Use the wide surface of the turner to provide support and stability when handling delicate or larger food items. This will help prevent the food from falling apart or breaking during the flipping process.
5. Clean as You Go: To avoid cross-contamination and maintain hygiene, clean your slotted turner between uses, especially when handling different types of foods. Keep a damp cloth or sponge nearby to wipe off any food residue before using the turner again.